Monday, June 1, 2009

Jury Duty

I've been picked for Jury Duty several times over the last few years and have always claimed exempt being a mommy/teacher and needing to stay home with our children. This time as our girls are much older and fully capable of running our home. Roy suggested, if I was interested, to go ahead and fulfill my duty. I was interested. I know that having the right to a fair trial is one of our freedoms and it is our right and duty to serve when we can. I showed up at the Concho County court house Tuesday at 9a.m. with about 150 others. Wow, Paint Rock was packed. They weeded out a few more due to excuses, exemptions, and eligibility. Then they put us in the order we were picked. A random computer generated list. The judge proceeded to explain the process, remind us of our freedoms and a right to a fair trial and why we were called to serve, and he thanked us. The case was an aggravated sexual assault case with 3 indictments. Each attorney explained the case and asked many questions concerning the case and if we felt we could fairly judge the case. Some people knew the defendant and were excused. Some were involved in a similar case and felt they could not judge the case fairly. The weeding process was taking place, we adjourned for lunch. I came home to check on everyone and grab a green drink. Figured 150 people would overwhelm the two restaurants in Paint Rock. We went back after lunch and they picked a 12 man jury and two alternates. I was the second alternate. So, Wed. and Thur. I sat in on the trial. A very difficult case on both sides. There was not hard evidence. It was tough. The jury went in to deliberate Thur about noon. I wished I could have heard their thoughts. The verdict, about 2 p.m. was Not Guilty. I would have done the same thing due to the doubt. It was a difficult few days, though, interesting. I believe God had me there for a reason. We had some good discussion at home on how our justice system works. I'm thankful for the freedoms we still have.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow talk about great timing. I have been picked for Jury duty this month. Thanks for the rundown. I was picked last year as well, but the case was settled out of court and I wasn't required to show up. We'll see if it happens this time. I agree that we should do our part.