Monday, April 14, 2008

Turkey's Survive the Twins

Well, for those of you who don't know, all of the first batch of turkey's died, except for one. Daddy got a new batch of turkey's on Saturday
(hatched on Friday) and the kids love to be right beside the cage watching them for long periods of time. On Sunday, after supper, I was trying to find Joy and Jimmie, so that they could unload the dishwasher and dish drainer. I looked out the window to where the turkey's where , thinking that maybe Joy and Jimmie were with the turkey's and I saw Michael and Matthew beside the turkey cage with the water hose. That is not good I thought, so I grabbed a towel and went outside. The twins had soaked the turkey's with cold water, and it was starting to get cold outside. Remember, the turkeys are only 3 days old. The turkey's were shivering, soaking wet, looking as if they had just been plucked. Most of them were shivering so hard it looked as if they were having convulsions. I grabbed the turkey's and put them all together in the towel and took them inside. I told Michael and Matthew to come in too. I got the turkey's inside and told Matthew to go tell Mommy what they did while I tried to dry and warm them. The message didn't exactly get relayed the way I intended it to. Patty came and helped me, and we started to get them a little dryer. Patty thought about a little heater that we have and she went to get it while I held the turkey's. We put them in front of the heater and then I went to ask Mommy and Daddy if they knew where Joy and Jimmie were. They did not, and as I was leaving Mommy said "I don't think that you should have those Turkey's in front of the heater too long." You have to understand that at this point hardly any of the Turkey's had fluffed up at all, and I thought that there was a great possibility that they were going to die. So I explained to Mommy what had happened, and she came and saw what was truly going on. We held them and brain stormed, and we thought of many things, but Daddy thought that they would not work. We finally thought to turn on the gas heater in the boy's bathroom and put three of the turkeys in a styrofoam cooler with wood shavings in it. We held the other two to try to warm them with additional body heat because they were the worst off. The Turkey's started perking up,and stopped shivering, though they were still very lathargic .We later took the cage up stairs and put them in that for the night with the heater on, and they are now doing good.!!Yea!!They have all survived the twins. Here is a picture of them today.

4 comments:

Regina said...

Aw, they were just trying to give those turkeys a bath! Or maybe a drink? Ha, ha!

~Tammy~ said...

Ahhh, the memories this brings of Becky's twin brothers as little guys...

~Tammy~ (Becky's Mom)

Nikki Bettis said...

Oh.......y'all make me feel sooooooo much better! Yesterday our twins killed the new 4 wk old kitten. I was horrified. Just when you think you have it down and such elementary basics are covered they go and do that. Still have to blog about it.

Julie Zesch said...

Well, one time when our dog had puppy's Michael and Matthew were about 2 and they drowned 3 of the Puppy's and killed the other one by throwing it of the porch. So our twins are pretty hard on the wild life to.
Annie